The scholarship award aims at fostering strong and internationally oriented higher education in Sub-Saharan Africa and scholarships are granted to individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching as well as in research at any institution of higher learning in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Applications are requested from African students for the 2021/2022 DAAD In-region Scholarship Programme at the Stellenbosch University, Division of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics for fully-funded Master’s and PhD studies.
The scholarships are targeted at nationals from Sub-Saharan Africa (exception of South Africans) with a bachelor’s degree if applying for a master’s degree or with a master’s degree if applying for a doctoral (Ph.D.) degree. DAAD In-region programmes in collaboration with Stellenbosch University is offering several master’s and Ph.D. scholarships to deserving applicants for the 2022 intake and the deadline is June 15, 2021
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
To qualify for the DAAD In-Region Scholarship award at Stellenbosch University, applicants are expected to meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must have completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with at least a second class upper division from a recognized university.
- Applicants must clearly show motivation and a strong commitment to the program.
- Applicants must possess a thorough knowledge of the language of instruction and have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application.
- Applicants must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Saharan African country excluding South Africa.
- Applicants should generally be a) candidates considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, b) staff members of a public university, c) from the public sector, d) Alumni of the DAFI program.
- Annual tuition fees (regular charge amount for Master’s and Ph.D. applicants).
- Annual study and research allowance- 460 EUR for Masters candidates and 920 EUR for Ph.D. candidates.
- Printing allowance- 400 EUR for masters and 800 EUR for Ph.D. candidates.
- Monthly scholarship for accommodation and food- 500 EUR for Ph.D. and 450 EUR for Masters candidates.
- Travel allowance as will be specified in the award letters
- Health insurance.
How-to-Apply: The application process for the 2022 DAAD In-Region Scholarship award at Stellenbosch University involves two steps.
First Step: Applicants must apply for their studies at the Stellenbosch University using the contacts and the method prescribed by the university. The Stellenbosch University will screen, pre-select according to DAAD criteria and short-list applicants. It is important to complete this step earlier before the deadline.
Second Step: The Stellenbosch University will provide the shortlisted candidates with the link to the DAAD-Portal. Only the pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register themselves and submit a DAAD application.
Documents to be submitted in English includes:
- DAAD Application form duly filled in
- Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form including a list of publications if applicable.
- Recommendation letter by university teachers (Master 1, PhD 2).
- Letter of admission for the host university/ institution/ network
- Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
- Letter of motivation
- Copy of passport
- If applicable, information on the UNHCR registration as refugee.
PhD candidates have to submit additional documents to include:
Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor; Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and timetable; Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal).
Application Deadline: June 15, 2021